Northern European residents fighting to legalise their Lliber homes will allege they are the innocent victims of a “well orchestrated scam” next week. More than 150 Homeowners from four Euro nations will enter a Denia courtroom to give evidence in the criminal corruption case involving the illegal construction of more than 300 villas in Lliber.
An investigating judge is poring over 20,000 pages of evidence involving the 18 people arrested over the Lliber scandal – including a former mayor, town hall officials, builders, promoters and a notary. And householders, as victims and witnesses, were scheduled to give evidence and face being quizzed by defence lawyers on Monday 31st but due to the absence of one of the defence lawyers the case was adjourned until early October.
Adrian Hobbs, who heads campaign group Abusos Urbanisticos Lliber No! (AULN) believed the courtroom appearance will be an important stepping stone in the ongoing battle to have homes made legal, or to win compensation. An embargo has already been placed on various defendants’ assets by the court – including those of British builder Trevor Bourne.
“We believe we now have sufficient evidence that this was a well orchestrated scam driven purely by greed and in some cases political fame.” Householders say the political system from the town hall to Valencia failed to protect them. “One would argue that Valencia has neglected its duties both environmentally and within its own planning system.”
Adrian said the plan was to seek redress through the Spanish system and if necessary to Europe “...and maybe declare our human rights have been infringed and abused by the regional government.”
He said the aim of the campaign was to get the authorities to admit mistakes had been made on a grand scale – not just in Lliber but throughout the region – and use common sense by declaring an amnesty or finding a rapid solution to the problem.
And Adrian said the legalisation process would help create additional employment and return everything to a “normal housing market” which would only benefit the economy.
Meanwhile, he said the group had warned it wants the new town plan to be published by the end of September. “We will not allow our homes and their legality to be a political football in the run up to the 2011 elections,” said Adrian.
“We are well prepared to provide candidates for the good of Lliber as opposed to the PP and PSOE parties who initially caused the problem and whose ‘passivity’ over seven years has continued despite numerous promises.”
And he said: “Those people who are elected to serve their village, town or city, need to be reminded that they are elected to serve the public and not themselves. “And in order for Lliber and other affected rural villages to weather the economic storm, definitive action and clear honest leadership is required in the future.”